I've had this camellia bush since 2005 and I've dug it up and brought it with me every time I've moved and this is the first time in 7 years that it's bloomed! It must be happy in it's new home.
Robert and I have also planted a lot of new things in the yard. Last fall, I planted over 200 tulips and daffodils in groups throughout the flower beds. Robert thought I was crazy until they started blooming here recently. Now he understands what I was going for and is happy that I did it!
The three trees that we put in last June made it through their first winter and they are just gorgeous! This magnolia is in the front of the house:
This flowering tree is in the front too, but we didn't plant it. I have no idea what this tree is and I honestly don't recall seeing it bloom last year, so this was a nice surprise:
In the back yard we had planted a plum tree and a Japanese cherry blossom and both are blooming more by the day.
This past weekend Robert and I extended a flower bed in front of the house to curve along the path leading up to our door. I've been wanting to do this since last summer and I figured I better get started before I'm too big to get up and down from the ground.
Let's be honest, it's already getting very difficult, but I manage. Besides, gardening is really good exercise so I'm going to keep at it as long as I can.
On Saturday we got the sod all pulled up and relocated to some needy bare spots.
On Sunday we turned the dirt, mixed in compost, installed a metal border and topped it off with some heavy top soil.
Sunday was a challenge, to say the least. We borrowed a tiller from our neighbor, Linda. It hadn't been used since last year, and right away the gas line needed to be replaced. Robert and I went to Lowe's and bought some replacement line.
I also picked up some Phlox flowers while we were there. I had some of these in Little Rock, but didn't get a chance to bring any up here. There were just a few left in the store so I pounced on them.
We went home and Robert wrestled with the gas line on the tiller for an hour before declaring that he needed more line. Back to Lowe's we went!
We came home and Robert went after the tiller again. Then Ricky, Linda's son, came over and the two of them fought with it for another 30 minutes to an hour.
Finally they gave the diagnosis that the carburetor was bad, so we started to dig and turn the dirt by hand.
We thought we knew where the sprinkler line came into the area where the new bed is, "thought" being the key word here.
Not so much.
So we took a third trip to Lowe's for a replacement part to fix the sprinkler line. It cost $.69. We spent more in gas driving to the store than we did on the part.
We repaired the line, filled in the dirt and finished up the bed.
I cannot wait to start planting! We are trying to get a game plan together so there will be color in it throughout the majority of the year. Next spring should be amazing!